Wednesday 19 October 2011

No second performance blues....

With today's performance being the second one of the run, I was worried that the entire cast and crew might fall prey to 'second show syndrome'...relaxing after a good first night and losing focus in the belief that they had cracked it and all was well. On arriving at the theatre at lunchtime I was greeted with the news that a representative of the RSC Open Stages would be coming to today's matinee.....so, second show, matinee AND a schools matinee at that..Did I panic? It would be lying to say that I didn't have a small heart murmur - however, after a good physical and vocal warmup and a fight call, (and a worryingly late arrival by a key cast member)  I gave what I hope was an encouraging pep talk to all. I don't know why I was concerned - what an awesome cast! Great performance, much better than the first night, even if it didn't feel like it for those on stage. Any mistakes went un-noticed by the audience, the tension during the blinding of Gloucester was palpable and I watched an entire audience of school students leaning forward in their seats and holding their breath as Regan and Cornwall got off on their terrible act of violence....Lear's madness in the Dover Fields scene had me hastily drying an eye while Gloucester struggled to come to terms with the disintegration of a King...
Well done to all - onwards and upwards - more sex, more violence and more death.....and lots more nob jokes please!!

Your very happy Director

No comments:

Post a Comment