Friday 23 September 2011

Further input from a Shakespeare novice

  BR Collins, glutton for punishment, plays Cordelia & the Fool.
If you are wondering what the B and the R stand for I
might venture to suggest it is Bawdy Rascal taking into
account her suggestions as to the form and heft of
a coxcomb (see 'inherently funny' comments passim)..... 
Hmm, well now, poor Kent's unsure whether he's being played for a fool here but more experienced fellows in our troupe are attempting to disabuse me of a long held belief.... they are insisting that Mark it Nuncle is not, in fact, a pleasing-on-the-eye Shropshire village but is rather, and I raise a sceptic's brow here, an exhortation issued by Lear's jester; most ably played in our production by BR Collins - (picture).


"Yes but what is the exhortation she is uttering to Lear?" I over-optimistically imagine you asking the screen - well, Mark it Nuncle lends itself, apparently, to the meaning - 'yo, uncle King, listen up man'. So 'Nuncle' I'm being informed, is a form of address equating to uncle but I'm choosing to presume it wasn't used strictly in the related-by-blood sense, more as a term of endearment. This chimes well with something Stephen Fry once told me, well I say told me but in fact I was just watching QI; lovely Stephen explained that a lot of words in English had once begun with an 'N' including Norange and Napple but these Ns were lost over time as articulating 'an norange' or 'an napple' was simply clunky and unsustainable. Cor love a duck you live and learn!


Could all be rubbish of course. Personally I'm still surfing Cottages4you.com in the background ever hopeful that my dream break in Mark It Nuncle will still prove a reality.


Fellows I love thee!
Kent

No comments:

Post a Comment