Saturday 24 September 2011

Basement Bard

Dearest Rascals,

It's hard to imagine a less acoustically kind environment than the basement room at the Camden Centre, the venue for this morning's rehearsal. Its cavernous nature was however useful for disguising those lengthy pauses I inevitably lay out whilst gurningly searching my eyebrows for a forgotten line; these pausii dramatis (I don't really speak Latin) became craftily less obvious when filled with the metallic echoes of a number of previous lines bouncing around the cellar.

You know, I had been about to write that this was 'audiologically' challenging but I then doubted that 'audiologically' was a friend of the Queen's English - feel free to comment - this gave me a reason to pick up a dictionary 'pon which I noted the nearness of audio and audience.... '..group of listeners..' . It's an obvious root relationship between the words I'm sure but I don't personally tend to notice these points about language unless, by dint of being a part of a play, I have a reason to slow down and pay proper attention, sort of like a grown up.  So there's a bit of additional access to the world of the wordsmiths going on for me as well as having a Shakespearean quote or two tucked down my trousers, along with me coxco..... forgive me.....

Give you good morrow
Kent

No comments:

Post a Comment